logo-loader

Morning Report: FTSE 100 collapses as oil price war erupts

Headlines from the Proactive UK newsroom.

Oil prices slumped by 30% on Monday as Saudi Arabia chopped prices after attempts to agree a production deal with Russia collapsed over the weekend. Brent crude plunged to US$31 a barrel after registering its largest daily drop since the Gulf War.

The oil price crisis sparked a further slide in the FTSE 100, which was already wobbling due to the coronavirus. The blue-chip index tumbled 559 points in early trading to 5903.

One bright spot was Tesco’s (LON:TSCO) agreement to sell its businesses in Thailand and Malaysia to CP Group, one of Thailand’s largest private companies. Net cash proceeds will be US$10.3bn with a £5bn special dividend to be paid to shareholders.

Open Orphan's (LON:ORPH) hVIVO virology and vaccine operation has begun the world’s first human coronavirus challenge study. Also known as a controlled human infection model - it is a method of testing potential vaccines against certain illnesses in a locked-down medical facility.

Union Jack Oil (LON:UJO) has acquired an additional 35% economic interest in the producing Keddington Oilfield in Lincolnshire from Terrain Energy. Following the purchase, Union Jack will hold a 55% economic interest in Keddington with Egdon Resources holding the remaining 45%.

Faron Pharmaceuticals (LON:FARN) has received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration for its revised protocol for the next Traumakine study in ARDS patients.

Live Company’s Bricklive (LON:LVCG) subsidiary is to produce a themed tour based around Peter Rabbit and other  World of Beatrix Potter characters.  The agreement represents the Group's second agreement with Penguin Ventures following a previous themed tour of The Snowman and The Snowdog.

Add related topics to MyProactive

Create your account: sign up and get ahead on news and events

NO INVESTMENT ADVICE

The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...

FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE

Watch

Feedback PLC's Tom Oakley gives clear message to NHS as Bleepa secures CE mark

Feedback PLC's (LON:FDBK) Tom Oakley speaks to Proactive London's Andrew Scott after announcing that Bleepa, its flagship imaging-based medical communications platform, has achieved a CE Mark for Europe. Oakley says Bleepa, which allows clinicians to access medical-grade images through...

11 hours, 42 minutes ago

2 min read