logo-loader
viewEndeavour Mining Corp

Endeavour Mining calls off Centamin merger discussions over “lack of information”

The Canadian miner said the quality of information received ahead of its offer deadline had been " insufficient" for it to be confident in proceeding with its merger efforts

Endeavour Mining Corp - Endeavour Mining calls off Centamin merger discussions over “lack of information”

Endeavour Mining Corp (TSE:EDV) has called off its merger discussions with gold miner Centamin PLC (LON:CEY) due to what they said was a “lack of information” from the FTSE 250 group.

The Canadian firm said it will not be seeking an extension to the ‘put up or shut up’ offer deadline, which falls today, and had terminated all merger discussions.

READ: Centamin sees Q4 gold production jump 51% as it continues takeover battle with Endeavour Mining

“The quality of information received during the accelerated due diligence process has been insufficient to allow us to be confident that proceeding with a firm offer would have been in the best interests of Endeavour shareholders”, said Endeavour president and chief executive Sebastien de Montessus.

Meanwhile, Centamin non-executive chairman Jim Rutherford said the firms had failed to reach an agreement despite “a period of constructive engagement”, a somewhat different assessment to that delivered by Endeavour

Non-starter

Endeavour lodged its bid for Centamin publicly in early December after what it said were “several unsuccessful attempts” to engage privately with the firm’s board.

The offer was swiftly rejected unanimously by Centamin’s management on the grounds that they believed the offer did “not adequately reflect the contribution that Centamin would make to the merged entity and that Centamin is better positioned to deliver shareholder returns than the combined entity”.

If the deal had completed, the combined entity would have seen Endeavour shareholders owning 52.9% of the shares, with Centamin investors holding the remaining 47.1%.

Centamin shares were down 4.2% at 121.9p in late-morning trading in London on Tuesday.

Quick facts: Endeavour Mining Corp

Price: 34.41 CAD

TSX:EDV
Market: TSX
Market Cap: $5.61 billion
Follow

Add related topics to MyProactive

Create your account: sign up and get ahead on news and events

NO INVESTMENT ADVICE

The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...

In exchange for publishing services rendered by the Company on behalf of Endeavour Mining Corp named herein, including the promotion by the Company of Endeavour Mining Corp in any Content on the Site, the Company...

FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE

Watch

Endeavour Mining's head of exploration and growth details his 2019 ambitions

Patrick Bouisset, executive vice president of exploration and growth at Endeavour Mining  Corporation (TSE:EDV), speaks to Proactive's Andrew Scott while in London. The miner has five operating mines in the Birimian greenstone belt - in the Ivory Coast, it has the Agbaou and Ity...

on 24/5/19

2 min read