logo-loader
viewITV PLC

Full stream ahead! ITV and BBC to launch BritBox streaming service in UK in fourth quarter

BritBox is like Netflix or Amazon Prime, except the content is made up of BBC and ITV content, both new and old

britbox
ITV owns 90% of BritBox, while BBC holds the remaining 10%

ITV plc (LON:ITV) and the BBC have confirmed they are to launch the BritBox streaming service in the UK in the fourth quarter of this year.

The broadcasters said it was a “bold, new step” that they hope will tap into the growing demand for new and old British television content.

“The agreement to launch BritBox is a milestone moment,” said ITV chief executive Carolyn McCall.

BBC director general Toby Hall added: “Together, we have been responsible for delivering the majority of ‘must see’ moments on British TV over the last decade. That ‘must see’ content will now be on BritBox.”

READ: What is BritBox?

BritBox is a subscription streaming service similar to Netflix and Amazon Prime, except the content library is made up of shows from the BBC and ITV archives.

The service, which was launched in the US a couple of years ago, will also commission new shows, dramas and comedies.

UK users will pay £5.99, which ITV and the Beeb said was a ‘competitive price’ and slightly less than rival streaming services charge.

For the time being, viewers will only be able to watch BBC and ITV content, but talks with other partners are ongoing and more announcements on this are expected in the coming months.

ITV shares were up 1.7% to 110.9p on Friday morning.

Quick facts: ITV PLC

Price: 143 GBX

AIM:ITV
Market: AIM
Market Cap: £5.76 billion
Follow

Add related topics to MyProactive

Create your account: sign up and get ahead on news and events

NO INVESTMENT ADVICE

The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...

FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE

Watch

Full interview: Impax Asset Management reveals key themes investors should...

Impax Asset Management Group PLC (LON:IPX) Head of Client Services and Business Development David Richardson tells Proactive key themes investors should look out for in 2020.  Richardson says he's seeing expansion in developing renewable energy projects in Europe, increased interested in...

2 days, 2 hours ago

RNS

Director/PDMR Shareholding

3 days, 2 hours ago

Director/PDMR Shareholding

5 days, 1 hour ago

Holding(s) in Company

1 week, 3 days ago

Holding(s) in Company

1 week, 4 days ago

Change of Auditor from 2021

2 weeks, 4 days ago

ITV plc Q3 Trading Statement

3 weeks, 5 days ago

2 min read