Plans to become UK seed-to-consumer business
Investments six early-stage medican cannabis businesses
Sativa to roll out CBD wellness retail centres and clinics
What Sativa Investments does:
Sativa Investments PLC (NEX:SATI) is the UK’s first medicinal cannabis investment vehicle.
Listed on the NEX exchange in March 2018, Sativa was set up to make investments into Canada-based or dual-listed cannabis companies where the drug is now approved for medicinal and recreational use.
It has so far ploughed cash into six early-stage businesses and plans to become a first-mover seed-to-consumer business in the UK after the country legalised the use of medical cannabis.
What Sativa Investments owns:
Sativa’s investments include: Canada-based pharmaceutical firm, Veritas Pharma Inc.; Canada pharma-tech business, Rapid Dose Therapeutics Inc., which owns the QuickStrip oral dissolving cannabis strips; UK-based cannabidiol (CBD) products provider George Botanicals Ltd; PhytoVista Laboratories, a UK testing laboratory for CBD products and a joint venture with Germany's Lexamed GmbH.
- As part of its plan to become a UK seed-to-consumer business, the group plans to construct a glasshouse at a 7.5-acre site in Wiltshire to grow medicinal cannabis and CBD products. The group has been granted planning permission to build the glasshouse and needs £12mln in funding to support its plan.
- Sativa is looking to advance its German joint venture to provide a distribution channel for its medicinal cannabis and CBD products in the country.
- Sativa has plans for wellness retail centres and clinics that will sell a medicinal range of CBDs. It has appointed retail professional, Chris Jones, to launch the wellness centres.
- In support of Sativa’s move into the veterinary market, the company has appointed veterinary expert Dr Nick Horniman as its new director of regulatory affairs.
- Sativa has teamed up with King's College London to research the impact of CBDs on inflammation and respiratory diseases. Under the research agreement, Sativa will supply the university with specific strains of cannabis plants that contain various combinations of the spectrum of at least 113 known CBDs, subject to regulatory approval.
- The company has completed its 1000th test of cannabinoid and terpenes at its on-site PhytoVista testing laboratory, an early milestone in its seed-to-consumer strategy.
Geremy Thomas, founder and chief executive of Sativa, said the company has made significant progress since it started trading on NEX.
“The company's operations now cover seed growing, in so far as the company has already successfully grown a hemp crop under the CEO's own growers' licence, and along with great strides in developing its medical cannabisbusiness, and has researched, tested, marketed and sold CBD products,” he said in a strategy update in January.
He said Sativa now has a "solid base on which to build its seed-to-consumer model".