logo-loader
Mkango Resources Ltd

Mkango receives £7mln triggered investment from Talaxis

"Mkango is uniquely positioned in the rare-earths sector with an advanced stage rare-earths project in a favourable jurisdiction and a strong strategic partnership with Talaxis," said William Dawes, Mkango's CEO

Investment decision
Talaxis's stake in the project could increase to 75%

Mkango Resources Ltd (LON:MKA) has received £7mln from Talaxis to fund the completion of the feasibility study for the Songwe Hill rare-earths project.

The cash infusion was triggered by the publication of a NI 43-101 technical report resource update a week ago.

READ: Read-across from Talaxis investment suggests Mkango is trading at a significant discount, says SP Angel

As a result of stumping up a further £7mln (C$12.3mln), Talaxis has increased its stake in Lancaster Exploration, which is the holder of the licence for the Songwe project in Malawi, to 49% from 49%; Mkango holds the remaining 51%.

The investment by Talaxis will fund completion of the feasibility study for Songwe, which is currently underway and expected to be completed in 2020. The updated resource described in the technical report published on 21 March will form the basis for the feasibility study.

Following completion of the feasibility study, Talaxis has an option to acquire a further 26% interest in Songwe by arranging the financing for project development including funding the equity component thereof.

Alexander Lemon, president of Mkango, said the Songwe project would be “transformational for Malawi”, empowering local communities and establishing the country’s reputation as “one of Africa’s premier investment destinations”.

Daniel Mamadou, a director of Talaxis and the co-head of technology metals at Noble Group, said rare-earths play a core role in Talaxis's portfolio of technology metals.

“High-performance electric motors and permanent magnet applications drives the demand for neodymium and praseodymium, making these elements key enablers of EV [electric vehicle] policies globally,” Mamadou said.

“The results of the drill campaign at Songwe are encouraging and point towards the potential of creating a world-class asset. We are pleased to extend our strategic partnership with Mkango and to increase our investment in Songwe, which is one of the few advanced stage rare-earths projects currently,” he added.

Quick facts: Mkango Resources Ltd

Price: £0.07

Market: LSE
Market Cap: £8.65 m
Follow

Add related topics to MyProactive

Create your account: sign up and get ahead on news and events

NO INVESTMENT ADVICE

The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...

In exchange for publishing services rendered by the Company on behalf of Mkango Resources Ltd named herein, including the promotion by the Company of Mkango Resources Ltd in any Content on the Site, the Company...

FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE

Watch

Lookahead to Proactive's One2One Forum - 20 June 2019

Thomas Coleman, Proactive’s Head of UK Events, outlines the details of this coming Thursday’s Proactive One2One Investor Forum. Companies presenting on the evening include Touchstone Exploration Inc (LON:TXP), Mkango Resources Ltd (LON:MKA), Salt Lake Potash Ltd (ASX:SO4) (LON:SO4) and...

on 14/6/19

2 min read