Proactive Investors - Run By Investors For Investors

Baker Steel Resources Trust boosts NAV with US$72 mln sale of Prognoz Silver mine

Deal should provide a significant boost to net asset value
ingots
Exposure to silver production will be retained via a chunky royalty

One of the most significant investments held by Baker Steel Resources Investment Trust (LON:BSRT), Polar Acquisition Limited, has agreed to sell its interest in the Prognoz silver mine in Russia to Polymetal International PLC.

At the January monthly update, Polar Acquisition represented just under 38% of Baker Steel’s net asset value. But that’s likely to see significant uplift now.

WATCH: Baker Steel Resources Trust boosts NAV with US$72 mln sale of Prognoz Silver mine

The sale of 90 per cent of the silver resources at Prognoz will realise US$72 mln for Polar Acquisition, a boost to its valuation of approximately 25%.

The consideration is payable in shares in Polymetal.

In addition, Polar Acquisition will retain a continued interest through a royalty on future production.

The deal follows the sale in January 2017 of a 10% stake to Polymetal, which then committed to fund and undertake a pre-feasibility study on Prognoz. As part of that agreement Polymetal was granted an option to acquire the remaining 90% of Polar Silver in March 2019 for a price based on silver reserves and the silver price at that time.

READ: Baker Steel Resources investing for long-term in projects with excellent upside potential

But, following a successful field season in 2017, during which 37km of diamond drilling was undertaken, Polar Acquisition and Polymetal have now agreed to accelerate the exercise of the option.

Polar Silver holds a 50% interest in the Prognoz silver project which has JORC-compliant indicated and inferred Resources of 292 million ounces of silver at a grade of 586 grams per tonne.

Taking into account the value of the Polymetal shares to be received by Polar Acquisition and the valuation of the royalty, the Baker Steel’s carrying value of Polar Acquisition can be expected to increase to approximately US$41 million at the next NAV date, a 25% increase on the carrying value at 31 January 2018.

Baker Steel has invested a total of US$14.2mln over the past seven years into Polar Acquisition, realised US$6mln in cash during 2017, resulting in a return on investment of in excess of three times.

 

View full BSRT profile View Profile

Baker Steel Resources Trust Timeline

Related Articles

Miner
June 26 2018
The mineral resources investor thinks the macroeconomic environment is favourable to the mining sector. It has four investments that over the next 18 months or so could see it repeat the success it had with its investment in the Prognoz silver project in Russia.
Increasing stacks of coins
September 12 2018
The fund provides wholesale investors with an opportunity to achieve investment returns via term-based investment options.
Dividends
October 30 2018
Braveheart is in the process of transferring all fund management activities to Viking Fund Managers and then closing down Strathtay Ventures, which will help reduce group operating costs

© Proactive Investors 2018

Proactive Investors Limited, trading as “Proactiveinvestors United Kingdom”, is Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Registered in England with Company Registration number 05639690. Group VAT registration number 872070825 FCA Registration number 559082. You can contact us here.

Market Indices, Commodities and Regulatory News Headlines copyright © Morningstar. Data delayed 15 minutes unless otherwise indicated. Terms of use