AFC Energy Plc - Anionic exchange membrane update
The information communicated within this announcement is deemed to constitute inside information as stipulated under the Market Abuse Regulations (EU) No. 596/2014. Upon the publication of this announcement, this inside information is now considered to be in the public domain.
AlkaMemTM Anionic Exchange Membrane Opens New Markets for
· AlkaMemTM has delivered market leading conductivity within an alkaline fuel cell environment enabling the achievement of >1A/cm2 power density within the HydroX-Cell(S)TM testing programme.
· AlkaMemTM set to be a truly disruptive technology in the field of alkaline water electrolysis with evidence supporting a sizable increase in hydrogen production efficiency.
· Additional applications for AlkaMemTM include energy storage (Redox Flow batteries).
· Prototype membrane manufacturing capability in place at
· As a key component of the HydroX-Cell(S)TM alkaline fuel cell, affording opportunities across new power-dense market segments that
· Commercial enquiries already received for prospective licensing or sale of AlkaMemTM membrane technology into non-fuel cell markets, including alkaline water electrolysis.
· Global revenues from the sale of ionic membrane technologies, such as NafionTM used in Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) fuel cells and electrolysers, estimated to be over
The key enabler technology within
The value proposition for the AlkaMemTM membrane however extends well beyond the fuel cell.
With applications in Alkaline Water Electrolysis (to generate Hydrogen), electro-dialysis, salt-splitting and energy storage (including Redox Flow batteries), the anionic membrane is relevant across several high value industries, offering excellent value for money.
The AlkaMemTM technology potential was validated and tested at
Commenting on the AlkaMemTM testing undertaken in
The AlkaMemTM membrane will come in three thicknesses reflecting the needs of different applications, but shall all be based on the same technology and manufacturing process:
Having already established a prototype membrane manufacturing capability in
A key number of success criteria were identified for AlkaMemTM in advance of commercial sales with several of these already having been demonstrated, including conductivity, ion selectivity and operating temperatures. Focus in 2020 now resides in demonstrating the longer-term stability of the membrane across key market-based applications.
NafionTM, a membrane developed for the PEM fuel cell market and other PEM based water electrolysis and electro-chemical processes, is understood to achieve annual sales in excess of
"With strong growth expected in alkaline water electrolysis in the coming years and the already evidenced expansion of energy storage, we believe AlkaMemTM, whilst initially developed exclusively "by us, for us", offers a true value proposition which we will aggressively seek to exploit through a sales, partnership and licensing model with our customers."
For further information, please contact:
| || |
+44 (0) 14 8327 6726
WH Ireland - Nominated Adviser and Joint Broker
Mike Coe (Corporate Finance)
+44 (0) 117 945 3470
M C Peat & Co LLP - Joint Broker
+44 (0) 20 7104 2334
| || |
+44 (0) 7809 495 759
This information is provided by RNS, the news service of the
Quick facts: AFC Energy PLC
Market Cap: £145.34 m
NO INVESTMENT ADVICE
The Company is a publisher. You understand and agree that no content published on the Site constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is...FOR OUR FULL DISCLAIMER CLICK HERE